2014年7月30日星期三

How About Opening a Chinese Restaurant in the US?


 We started preparing lunch as soon as we came back to our American home from the Yale Campus. I was busy cutting potatoes and onions and carrots, peeling the tender corns off a bar wth the knife Doctor Zhang had brought from China, Christina was washing the vegetables and taking the fish out of the fridge. She had taken the fish out of the Freezer section and put it in the Keep Fresh section, and put back the fish I had taken out of the fridge this morning. She had planned the main dish for our lunch last night. I had this plan this morning, so we both shared the same plan without any discussion between us. What a coincidence!
Soon she began to cook fish. She had asked me to prepare two traditional ingredients before the cooking. Ginger and onion seeds, And she had mixed the small bag of sour vegetable (pickled) spice onto the fish slices.
I knew from our teachers visit to our home that Christina was a better cook, and I put absolute trust in her cooking skills. So I did not stand by and watch her cook and give her suggestions. I sat at the table and enjoyed eating the fruit and nuts with Amanda and Doctor Zhang.
It seems the fish soup is void of something,  Christina said in a voice that could be heard clearly. 
Oh, the tofu we bought several days ago must be cooked today, or it will go bad, suggested Doctor Zhang.
Thats a good idea, I seconded. In Changsha, there is such a dish called Fish and Tofu soup, and Christina said tofu should be boiled a thousand times and fish ten thousand times. Lets put together these two kinds of food that need standing boil,  I said happily.

Last time, when Siggy and Carrie came here, I objected to Christinas style if cooking fish,-- putting a lot of water in the pan to cook the fish. I thought the fish would be tasteless, though the soup would taste very delicious. But she said, in China, there is a saying goes that Tofu should be boiled a thousand times and fish ten thousand times. I did not quite understand why these foods should be cooked in this way. In my home, my father would cook tofu by frying it and making both sides of the pieces of tofu look dark yellow. But again Christina said, if tofu is not in standing boils, how could the spices enter it? I was convinced. I know tofu itself is not delicious, only when the spices enter the inside of it can it taste gorgeous.

I went to fetch the remaining tofu that had been put into a plastic container with water covering the top of it, and sliced it into many tiny pieces and then brought it to Christina.

Less than half an hour, lunch was ready. 
We all put our chopsticks into the fish soup dish, and after our first taste of it, we were just thrilled at the deliciousness of it. Mm, Delicious! How could the food in the Yale school dining-room compare with the food we eat here at home? Doctor Zhang said with a smile and happiness on her face.  
I have never tasted such delicious dish soup at home, I praised with a hundred percent honesty and sincerity. Thanks to Christina, she has cooked it for us.
It is simple to cook this dish, Christina was all modesty.
How lucky we are to have Christina live with us so that we can eat such delicious food here. At home, we can not eat such food. 
It isnt difficult, just use the pickled vegetable and other spices contained in the bag. 
You know how to cook, so you think its simple, I said. I dont know how to cook it.
Just fry the pickled vegetable and pepper and put the fish and tofu into the water, with all the onions and ginger and the remaining spices put into the soup.
You can open a restaurant in the US, and Im sure all the American people will be attracted by the Chinese food you make, I suggested jokingly.
You are also a good cook, Doctor Zhang said with a little laugh.
How about our not returning to China but staying here and opening a restaurant in New Haven?  I joked.
Amanda and I will do the vegetable washing for you, Doctor Zhang joked with a little laughter.
That will be great, we can make a lot of money here in the US, much more than what we make in China, I laughed at my daydreaming of material success in the US.
My maternal cousins and uncles and aunts make more money than us by doing businesses in Shenzhen. Teaching can not bring us as much money as doing business, Amanda smiled and said.
I wouldnt stay here, I am eager to go home, Christina said.
I enjoy the life here, and dont want to go back. I can not eat as well as here when I go back home, I said honestly. Yesterday morning, Xiao Ma said he and other teachers are  homesick now, but I dont feel homesick at all. 
Thats because your child has grown up and does not need to look after, my daughter is so young and I am always worried about her, Christina said objectively.
It is true that I do not need to worry about my son any more.
When he was in high school about 30 kilometers away from home, I was anxious about him, and always wondered if the food his maternal grandpa cooked was to his taste or not, if he was healthy, if he was used to the life away from home, especially when he was weakened by the Chinese herbal medicine and western medication, which made him skinny and his face red.
Now, the nightmare has left us, and I dont feel worried r anxious about him any more. And most of the time, I enjoy living alone on the school campus. But I also become very lazy. I seldom cook food but eat nuts and dates and apples for survival.
Living with colleagues in an apartment makes me live a very regular life of three meals a day, with milk, and orange juice and cherries and apples every day. And I am not lonely. We four chatted and laughed a lot either on our way to the teaching building or back in the apartment.
But they miss their families, their single child and their husband or parents.
Christina said her husband wished she could go back earlier so that she could make their daughter obey them. Is it just an excuse for him? 

After Xiao Ma said in the class that many of us are homesick, many of the colleagues hugged each other and cried in tears, Christina said with a smile.
Oh, really? I can hardly imagine they are so homesick, I said puzzled. I never suffer from homesickness, I have been used to being separated from my parents in my early childhood, and now from my son and my husband in recent years. So we can not open a restaurant in America?

3 条评论:

  1. I'm sorry about losing your restaurant but I am glad you will all return to your loved ones soon. This has been a very long time to be so far from home.

    回复删除