2014年7月18日星期五

The Disagreement Between My Colleagues and Me in English Class Activity

Yesterday afternoon we had a very interesting game assigned by Siggy, our English teacher. We each were given a piece of paper and it  asked us to imagine that each of us is alone on a tropical island and has to make the decision concerning all the people-- a Catholic nun, a storyteller, a pregnant woman, a young musician, a cook, a blind 85 year old biologist, a one-month-old baby, a Buddhist monk, an animal trainer, a young biologist without hands and can not speak, a philosopher, a history teacher, a psychologist, etc-- on a boat that arrives on the island. Only six people could stay and the rest had to be killed. 
Which of the four should I choose to stay on the island? 
This was the first time we could have the right to decide the fate or the life and death of people. 
I chose the cook to be the first to stay, then the pregnant woman, then the one-month old baby and the Buddhist monk, and the musician, and the story-teller.

I chose the cook to be the first to stay for the practical reason that he can cook food for me every day. 
I chose the one-
month old baby as the second to stay on the island that a baby can bring me a lot of fun and immense happiness, just like my son when he was vary young. Life without a baby if cheerless and lifeless. And in addition, it is a great pleasure to see a baby grow up day by day. A child is not as dangerous as an adult, and it is capable of change for the better. Whats more, it is the hope of life for people on the island. 
Siggy came to me and saw my choice of the choice of the one-month old baby, she reminded me, a baby can be a lot of trouble to you.  I was not persuaded. 
The next person I chose to stay is a pregnant woman, I wanted her to stay because she can have her child born onto the island. A child is the hope of the future for the island. The island may become cheerful with two baby children, and the pregnant woman may look after the one-month old baby. So they will be baby children living on the island, laughing and crying, a kind of music to me. 
The third
 person I chose is the Buddhist monk. The reasons I chose them are that they can be useful in conquering the animals and working to produce our food.
I have read a lot of stories about great monks of China who made the wild animals docile or withdraw from them. The first monk who survived the harsh surroundings of the mountains full of tiger is Wei You, who came to a out-of-the-way mountains in my county and stayed there and all the tigers withdrew into the mountain away from the temple. He was a very hard-working monk, he wouldnt eat anything if he had not worked in the field in the day time. 
Since that time, that temple had become one of the holy places for Buddhists. Even the only female Chinese Emperor in Chinese history, Wu Zetian, a devout Buddhist, of the Tang dynasty, sent one of her sons to become a monk here. 
Young Mao Zedong

The temple housed a very learned old monk whom Chairman Mao Zetong, founding father of the Peoples Republic of China, had walked about 100 kilometers to pay a visit to when he was a college student, and had been given the honor to meet. Through talking, the old monk found the young man was very learned and invited to a dinner and a stay for the night.
Today, on the site his temple had stood, a new temple has been erected. It has attracted tourists and Buddhists from all over the country.

Another Monk, whose Buddhist name Xu Yun, and who lived up to 120 year old and died just 7 years before I was born, told a story, in his autobiography entitled A Hundred Year of Clouds and Emptiness (or Void), how he and his disciple, walking in the mountains, as has been the practice since ancient times, met a tiger and his disciple, panicked at the sight of the tiger and fainted all at once, but when he came to, he saw his master stroking the tiger and the tiger, enjoying being stroked, stayed motionless. Then it disappeared. 
And when Xu Yun and his disciple came to a place without any path but a huge gap, which they had to cross, a snake appeared all of a sudden and spanned across the gap, making it possible for them to get across to the other side. The young monk was afraid to walk on the snake. Xu Yun asked him to close his eyes and led him by the hand and helped him get across the huge gap safely. 
I think the Buddhist monk can ply a multiple role on the island. 
He can serve as an animal trainer, a psychologist or philosopher. A monk can help people overcome their fears and loneliness by giving them very good instructions about the truth of life.
I have read many stories of how monks have successfully persuaded people to download their spiritual burdens of fear and sorrow or to give up their attempt to commit suicide. 
Then I chose a musician, because light-hearted or cheerful music, or lyrical music, fast-rhythm music, can bring me immense mental pleasure. It can drive away my tiredness and weariness, too. I often dance to the music at home, or listen to music while I was writing something on the computer. It is a kind of ideal life to be able to have a musician play to you after a days hard work. 
The last person I chose is the story-teller. To have someone tell you a different story every day must be an interesting and exciting life. The story-teller could tell stories that can make me forget about tiredness or loneliness, and get me back into different historical period, and meet different people. He plays the role of books to me. Books are islands of gold, in John Keats words. 

Soon after I made the choices of mine, I was asked to join the other two women sitting on my left side, and we three had to reach agreement as to which six people should stay.
The Group began to discuss about the topic.
There was no problem about the cook. We all think he is useful to us. Then we disagree on other people. The pregnant woman was not within their consideration, then there was the Buddhist monk. They would rather choose a Catholic nun to a Buddhist monk, because they were affected by the recent reports about Chinese monks misdemeanor.

No matter how hard I told them about the great monks that emerged in the past, they were not interested and did not want to choose him. You have to make concessions,  Siggy came and heard our disagreement and said to me.
They believed that an animal trainer is more helpful on the island, and both the other women decided on the animal trainer.

I was unhappy about the concession. I strongly believed that the monk could play a multiple role if he stayed on the island. And I strongly believed that truth lie in the hands of the few. To follow the majority blindly sometimes would lead to disaster.

When each small group sent a rep to write their answers on the blackboard, their choices were limited to four, not six.
Our small group rep wrote cook, animal trainer, young biologist, one-month old baby on the black board.
When I came back home and thought about the disagreement between us three, I realized the reasons behind the disagreement. When the phrase Buddhist monk was mentioned, or not even mentioned, the bad image built up by the social-media came up to their mind, whereas the image of great monks came up to my mind. I have not only read about the reports about the misdemeanor of some monks today, but about the stories of the great monks either from the books I purchased  or obtained free from temples I have visited, or on the internet, like Xu Yun. 
My disease about 10 years ago got me acquainted with Buddhism and stories of Great  Buddhist monks of China in history. 
I believe in the truth of the story, because real great monks wont tell lies. Honesty is one of the many principles monks must abide by, it was passed down from the founder of Buddhism. 
They may laugh at my piety in religion, but I dont feel ashamed. I feel proud of my religion, as I have benefitted a lot from the religion. 

没有评论:

发表评论