2014年7月29日星期二

Much Ado About Nothing

   Last night, after I finished the blog-writing, I went to the sitting-room and lay down on the wooden floor with the two round mattresses under me, and waiting for sleep to fall upon me. 
It was about 10:45 when I smelled something like Chinese herbal medicine. I was wondering where this smell came from when Doctor Zhang called me by my recently adopted English name Rich. 
Rich, have you heard the sound? she came out of her bedroom and shouted.
What sound?  I asked.
The creak sound.
I havent heard anything, I replied.
Listen carefully and you will hear the sound.
I listened to and did hear a creak sound. I rose up reluctantly.
The sound was sharp and I came to think of the insects that creak at night. Perhaps an insect has entered our apartment and creaked at night, I suggested. But I knew quite well that it was impossible for an insect to enter the house. All the windows had well protected against the entrance of any insects, and the doors upstairs were shut as soon as we entered the apartment.  
I dont think so. It does not sound like that. Listen carefully.
I heard a creak sound from the corridor, and tried hard to locate the source of the sound so that I could remove it, but I could not find anything on the wooden floor of the corridor.
There is a creak sound in the house, I agreed.
You havent heard it until now? I heard it at least one hour ago. Amanda came out of their bedroom and said to me with a smile.
And soon Christina came out of her room and said she had also heard the unusual sound.

Just as I was musing about the source of the sound, another sound came, this time, from the kitchen.
The fridge always produces unusually loud noises when it is freezing. I am afraid of an electric fire. Doctor Zhang said.
I dont think so, it has always had such a loud noise, I said.
But the noise is too loud, all the fridges back in China do not produce such a great noise.

A few days after we moved into the American home, when we were sleepless, Doctor Zhang busy scanning materials she had borrowed from the library, and Christina coming into the room and said to me, The fridge and Doctor Zhangs scanner shriek by turns, both are too noisy to make it possible for us to fall asleep.

Now, Doctor Zhang found the noise produced by the fridge abnormal. I was amused by her remark.

I am worried there might be an electric fire because of the poor quality of the fridge, Doctor Zhang repeated her remark.

 I did not think it likely, this wasnt the first time it made such a great noise, I said with confidence.

But I was worried about our personal safety.

About an hour ago, loud, wild male singing came from behind me outside the window, making me filled with fear for the one who did the singing. I shut one of the windows in the dining-kitchen room, and even had it locked from inside. 
When I was about to sleep, I had both windows of the dining-kitchen room closed for fear of the cold wind at night.

Was it possible for the sound to have come from below, from our second floor neighbor couple, or from the stairs leading to the basement, which is just outside the door next to the fridge? Perhaps someone is hiding on the stairs outside the apartment, I expressed my anxieties.

Before we moved in, the boy who was entrusted with the task of receiving us and showing us around the house took us four down to the basement of the house by opening the door next to the fridge and walking all the way down the dirty and ugly-looking stairs and showed us the washing-machines and the proper way to use them. 
But we have never been to the basement, due to the dirty stairs and the darkness and coolness of the basement.

The thought is frightening, Doctor Zhang said, and held both her arms together in fear.

I carried several pieces of the wooden bed Doctor Zhang and I had picked outside one morning, which was discarded by the ex-house-renters living just a few steps ahead of us, and placed them against the door, as a preventive against potential thieves or robbers.


Just then, a third shriek came from Doctor Zhangs bedroom. 
Oh, the sound came from your bedroom this time! I said in great surprise.
How terrible it has become, Doctor Zhang said, miserably. I dare not sleep in the room tonight.

But soon, the sound came again from the corridor. But again none of us four could identify the source of the sound. 
Maybe our neighbor downstairs are making a mischief with us, I guessed, Or how could the sound move from place to place?

I was uneasy at the thought. Why would they have played such a trick on us upstairs neighbors? They have no reason to do so, I said.

What should we do? Doctor Zhang asked.
Shall we call the police for help?
Dont call the police, Christina suggested.

Then the sound came to ears repeatedly and it moved from one room to another. 
Lets call the police to stop all this, Christina, I said resolutely. Only your phone work dial international numbers, so please dial immediately.
What number should we call? Christina asked.
119,  I said. 
This is the number for Chinese firefighters, Christina reminded me.
Oh, yes, 911, thats it. The memory of the 911 terrorist attacks came back to my mind. A very usual day, a very unusual number. I should not forget it, but I almost forgot it.
Christina gave me her mobile phone and asked me to talk to the police.
A womans voice came from the other side of the phone, Can I help you?
She asked about my full name and address, then about the reason for making the call.
I told her about the noise that was bothering us, and while I was describing the sound , the noise came again and again. Could you hear the sound on the phone?
No. Was it the smoke-alarm?
But we dont smoke.
Was it the gas leakage that caused the alarm? 
I came back to the dining-kitchen room, and saw that the gas had been turned off. The gas has been turned off. Oh, was it because one of our colleagues applied the Chinese herbal medicine and the smoke alarm was sensitive to it?

Is there someone who is seriously ill?
No, shes just got a mosquito bite and has applied some herbal medicine. The medicine did give off a strong smell.
All right, tell me your phone number, so that we can connect you.

She asked about my phone number, I told her my phone number did not work in the US, we are from China. She insisted on my giving her a phone number, I said this phone I  am using is my colleagues and I dont know about the number.
Then I went to Christinas bedroom and gave her back the phone, asking her to tell her number to the police.

In about 2 minutes, I heard the loud didu-didu sound and knew the police were coming. And Amanda came out of her room and said to us with a broad smile, How quickly the American police are acting, theyve reached the outside of our house.

I walked along the corridor and suddenly saw tiny green flashlights.
smoke alarm installed on the ceiling of the corridor

Amanda, was it because you have applied herbal medicine to your legs that had caused the fire alarm to shriek.

I started towards Amandas room.came to her room and saw the lights flashing wildly.
Then the doorbell ran. 
I am coming, I shouted to the people outside.
As I rushed downstairs, the male neighbor on the second floor opened his door and put his head outside.
The police were knocking at the door a bit anxiously.
I opened the entrance door on the first floor to let them in, and was surprised to find that they were wearing firefighters heavy and clumsy uniforms.
They followed me upstairs and we four all gathered around them, telling them about the strange sound. But suddenly we found the sound disappeared, to our great surprise.
Why, the sound that has been moving everywhere stopped all of a sudden.
Maybe it is the smoke-alarm, one of the two tall middle-aged police said in a low voice.
If it is the smoke alarm, why would it move from the corridor to the kitchen- dining-room and then to Doctor Zhangs room here, I asked in puzzlement.
The heating system in each room also has a smoke-alarm, the other policeman came to the kitchen-dining-room and had a look at the heating bars at the southeastern corner, but he failed to see anything installed there.

The firefighter trying to detect the sound source, provided by Amanda
They did not see anything dangerous. I asked Amando to take out her medicine and show it to the firefighters, to make sure it was not the source of all this sound or noise.
Amanda went into her room and took out the bottle containing the herbal medicine for the firefighters to smell. They smelled it and shook their head.

We felt sorry for having them come here for nothing. As we saw them off downstairs, we saw a young black firefighter coming upstairs with a hose. 
As soon as we reached the entrance on the first floor, we saw many firefighters in heavy uniforms, standing outside the truck, which had many lights turning around and flashing about,  with alarms blowing loudly, attracting all the neighbors to come outside their houses and throw looks at our house. 
Amanda was amused by the sight, and took  several pictures of the scene,  the firefighter truck and the fighters, too.



I repeatedly made apologies to the two firefighters for having brought them here for nothing. One of them said gently, Its OK, its our job.

 
The firefighters and their trucks outside the house, provided by Amanda
This morning, while I was busy with my work, I heard Christina say to someone, last night  a sharp sound in our apartment made us call the police and had many firefighters come here ready to put out a fire.
Amanda was close to me in the Kitchen-dining-room.
Who is she speaking to?  I asked Amanda.
To her husband.

At noon, while we were having lunch outside the Bass Library, I asked Christina what her husband said to her about our calling the police.
He said we are wasting the US resources and wasting the tax money of the American people, but I retorted by saying, we also have paid taxes in the US. 

While walking along the road to the Public Library in New Haven, I couldnt help thinking about the whole thing that had happened to us the night before.
Without the sudden and persistent appearance of the sound, we could not have called the American police, and we could not have known about the quick response of the US fire-fighters to emergency. I am certain that they have always their uniforms on, ready to answer the call for help.

The whole event seemed so mysterious, as if designed by God or some supernatural being, just to enrich our life experience in the US and see the efficiency of the fire-fighters. 

2 条评论:

  1. What a wonderful story...it should be publisehd!! I love your details and mini-plot twists.
    The sound you describe is similar to a fire alarm in need of batteries. It absolutely shrieks. Awful sound, but in your case, it created a wonderful story.

    回复删除